[gdal-dev] ECW driver as a plugin

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 10 13:34:14 EST 2010

Jason Beverage wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> By "official" version of the plugin I meant the definitive source.  I
> would have expected to find the ECW plugin as part of GDAL itself, or
> downloadable from the GDAL website rather than going through GRASS to
> get the GDAL ECW plugin.  Just wanted to make sure I was getting the
> plugin from the "right" place.

Jason,

The official source for the ECW plugin is part of the normal GDAL source
releases.

eg.
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-1.6.3.tar.gz

(in frmts/ecw)

The normal instructions for building the ECW driver and plugin are found
at:

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ECW

But that doesn't invalidate the information you found which might be
significantly more useful on debian than the other resources.  In fact,
you might want to edit the trac wiki topic for ECW and add a pointer
to the instructions.