[gdal-dev] installing GDAL for pythonwin: can import and use gdal, but not gdal_translate

anotherObject ytrapaet at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 23:59:15 EST 2010

Hello, i am new to using GDAL, from what I've looked into it seems great. I
am using pythonwin to interact with GDAL.

For installation, I followed the instructions here:
http://www.gis.usu.edu/~chrisg/python/2009/install.html (installing GDAL
manually). All my windows system variables are identical to these
instructions.

I am now able to use GDAL in pythonwin - except i am unable to access the
GDAL utilities (in my first task of utilizing GDAL, thei am in need  of the
gdal_translate).

If i can import the GDAL libraries, but cannot access the gdal_translate,
does this indicate any specific problem? I am using pythonwin 2.5 and gdal
1.6.

here is what happens in my pythonwin interactive window:

>>> from osgeo import gdal
>>> gdal
<module 'osgeo.gdal' from 'C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\osgeo\gdal.pyc'>
>>> gdal_translate
Traceback (most recent call last):
NameError: name 'gdal_translate' is not defined

thanks so much for any help on this, i would love to get moving with
actually learning GDAL rather than setting it up!