[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.7 issues with SQLite creation from source without geometries

Roald de Wit rdewit.list at somethingspatial.com.au
Fri Feb 19 17:47:54 EST 2010

Hi list,

I have the following issue: OGR 1.7.x cannot read the SQLite files it
creates from a source *without geometries*.

I used the following GDAL:
- from http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/
   (release-1310-gdal-1-7-mapserver-5-6.zip, based on r9799, r18849)
- on a WinXP machine
- having no other GDAL in my path

Simple example, try the following with attached CSV file.:

     ogr2ogr -F "SQLite" tasmania.sqlite tasmania_cities.csv

and then:

     ogrinfo tasmania.sqlite
     INFO: Open of `tasmania.sqlite'
            using driver `SQLite' successful.

No layers are found. With GDAL 1.6.x there is no problem.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with this specific build of GDAL or
with GDAL in general (since I'm not aware of another recent GDAL with
modern SQLite support built-in on Windows).

I contacted Tamas Szekeres off-line about the issue. He suggested it
might be a problem with the SQLite driver, therefore I'm taking it to
the gdal-dev list.

Is this a bug? If so, I'm happy to create a ticket in trac.

Regards,

Roald