[gdal-dev] Reading Envisat AATSR L1 data (.N1 format)

knudby knudby at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 19:10:05 EST 2010

Hi, I'm trying to read AATSR data in ESA's N1 format. Supposedly gdal can do
this, but when I open my files I get no projection or geotransform
information. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong. If I'm
doing something wrong, can someone give me a quick tip on how to get the
information out (Python please).

A snippet of what I'm using now:

import sys
import string
import os
from osgeo import osr
from osgeo import gdal
from osgeo import gdalnumeric
from osgeo.gdalconst import *

source_image_file = "c:/aatsr/l1/aatsr_data.N1"
source_image = gdal.Open(source_image_file, GA_ReadOnly)
geotransform = source_image.GetGeoTransform()             #Turns out empty!
projection_reference = source_image.GetProjectionRef()    #Turns out empty!
projection = source_image.GetProjection()                      #Turns out
empty!