[gdal-dev] ogrinfo with remote KML-urls

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 23 14:46:42 EST 2010

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> It *seems* like a bad idea to embed such behavior in a
>> particular driver.
>
> Yes, I understand your point.
> Perhaps I should narrow the test with check if URL consists of "geojson"
> token, like http://server/path/geojson/1234 or
> ftp://server/path/file.geojson and if not present, then no remote
> reading would be performed. Should I?

Mateusz,

If there was a typical extension for geojson files that would be helpful.
Alternatively, we could take this out of the geojson driver, and handle it
more like GDAL where we have a final "http" driver that will fetch http results
and then re-invoke OGROpen() on the resulting downloaded file.   Then all the
drivers again have a crack at the file.

This would make it work for kml, for instance, and would sure we don't end up
downloading it several times if the logic ends up in several drivers.