[gdal-dev] Re: storing height information in a .tif rather the grayscale in the tif relying on another file

ivar ivar at avenza.com
Tue Feb 23 18:02:16 EST 2010

Ytrapaet,
     There is no such thing as an 'associated color table' in strict
TIFF meaning. In the specific case of DEM TIFF you have either one of
two cases: 1) a grayscale TIFF that is generated using some sort of
mapping between raw elevation values and grayscale colors. If the
mapping is 1-to-1 which is, of course, normally only possible for 16 or
32 bit grayscale color mode, it can be called "raw" data, since it
allows conversion back to the original  values, well, at least with
integer precision. This grayscale TIFFs can be rendered by various
software packages using whatever colorization method they default to or
whatever the user choice is; obviously in case of Photoshop there is no
default and its up to the user to apply whatever gradient they choose
manually 2) a pre-colorized TIFF, basically 2D or 3D rendering of the
DEM data where the raw values are irreversibly replaced by the image
rendition using selected colorization schema. The choice is determined,
say, in ArcGIS by 'Use rendered' checkbox on export. There are, of
course, some other formats (ESRI HDR, for example) that indeed do store
a color table separately, however in any case this is not a kind of
information that Photoshop would render out-of-the-box. Moreover, even
rendering a simple 16-bit graysclae image in Photoshop is not performed
on a 1-1 mapping basis  - Adobe has their own way of re-interpreting
values for display purpose and I remember having to dig through Adobe
forums unraveling these mysteries when working on our Geographic Imager
product. In any case, I think Frank is right and indeed it is more of a
Photoshop discussion at this point. If you want, you can contact me
offline or/and send your sample data if you still have any specific
questions.

     ivar
     Avenza Systems Inc