[gdal-dev] Storing Gdal datasets in Postgis

Ricardo Cezar Bonfim Rodrigues rikardocezar at msn.com
Fri Feb 26 08:51:40 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm using Gdal to load dted files and get max elevations of a region, but I have constraints concerning speed. Inspite of loading geotifs generated from dted has reduced a lot the processing time, its still not enough to the constraints I have. I'm loading geotiffs which represents dted L1 files, reading its points using rasterIO and verifying the max elevation of a rectangle area given ( lat, lon, width).
I've noticed the more expensive is the data reading, so I'm thinking about storing the dted (or geotiff) files in a Postgis. Would it increase the search speed?
Does anyone know the best way to store dted files in a Postgis? I thought about storing geotiffs (generated from deted using gdal), but I dont now exactly how it would work. I know there are spatial queries in Postgis and I think it would be very useful in my case.

I look forwarding to receving any tip of how to do this.

Thanks in Advance,

Ricardo Rodrigues
Brazil