[gdal-dev] gdalbuildvrt -init 255

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Jan 4 16:08:03 EST 2010

Greg,

I don't think the issue is really about black or white, but more about
setting nodata appropriately. Basically, if I've well understood your
needs, you want to make some black padding in images transparent.
Assuming that your imagery is RGB, you could try adding -srcnodata 0 to
the gdalbuildvrt command line, so that pixels with value 0 in source
imaginery are not drawn in the VRT buffer. You will also need to specify
a -vrtnodata XXX (which is about like -init XXX of gdal_merge.py, but
does more than -init as it sets that value as nodata), where XXX can be
255 if you want it to be nodata white, but 0 should also do, but the
value should not matter much to QGIS : it should just ignore the pixels
matching the nodata value whichever it is.

You must be aware of the limitation of the nodata concept when working
with RGB imagery however. Nodata is considered band per band, and not as
a triplet. I mean if you have a blue pixel (0,0,255), and you set a
nodata value of 255 for each of the 3 bands, the blue component of
(0,0,255) being 255, it will be considered as nodata for that
component... The only proper way to deal with that is to work with RGBA
imagery.

Best regards,

Even