[Gdal-dev] Help with converting ASTER GDEM using GDAL

mriek matthew.riek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 06:46:12 EST 2010

Hi All,

I am trying to get a high resolution heightmap (hopefully tens of gigabytes)
to demonstrate a streaming terrain system.

I have downloaded the granules of the ASTER GDEM, which are in a geotiff
format.  I would like to convert all of these at full resolution into a
custom surface database as tiles that join into one large heightmap image.

The terrain system is for viewing virtual worlds, so I don't usually need to
deal with the warping / mapping from spherical data to an "unwrapped" image
- so I would appreciate any help or links to tutorials, or suggestions of
existing tools/scripts that acheive what I am trying to do.  Even if they
build an image into a different database store that would then allow me to
transfer it to my custom database.

As I have limited knowledge in dealing with this kind of real world data, If
what I am trying to do cannot be done quickly, I will demonstrate the
terrain system with synthetic data - but I'd love to know what I'm up
against.

Best regards and thanks for any help you can offer,

Matt Riek.