[Gdal-dev] ECW Hanging

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 08:23:47 EST 2010

Steve,

As far as I remember there have been a couple of mysterius problems with the
ECW SDK interfacing with gdal and mapserver which haven't yet been solved,
and the current ms4w distribution doesn't even include ECW support because
of such reason.

I have an impression that many of these issues could be better investigated
by compiling the ECW SDK in debug mode. Once the application is hanging you
may attach a debugger and inspect the call stack for each thread which would
probably help in localizing the problem.

Compiling the SDK in debug mode is pretty straightforward which is included
as an option in the Visual Studio solution (in Source\NCSBuildQmake).
If you have this debug version then you could recompile gdal easily by using
the corresponding build package available from here:
http://vbkto.dyndns.org/sdk/

You may also inspect the precompiled packages from the location above which
all provided with the ECW plugin to test with.

Unfortunately it seems like these problems are falling pretty much out of
scope of our current activities in gdal to spend much time in debugging into
external libraries like ECW and fix their problems externally. If you feel
enough willingness to do so, we greatly accept any contribution to improve
our gdal binary distributions.

Best regards,

Tamas