[gdal-dev] get projection zone and datum using gdal functions

Shawn GONG SGONG at mdacorporation.com
Tue Jan 12 14:20:29 EST 2010

Hi list,

I use gdal2tiles.py to generate KML for Google Earth.

gdal2tiles.py requires gdal_translate and gdalwarp to convert images to EPSG:4326
If an optical image is in UTM, then "gdalwarp -s_srs '+proj=utm +zone=## ...'

Has anybody extracted projection info using Gdal Python function? I can "img_ds.GetProjection()" and then parse the projection string, but this is tedious.
Are there Python functions I can call to get the UTM zone and datum?

Thanks,
Shawn