[gdal-dev] Open source vector geoprocessing libraries?

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Sat Jan 16 06:45:31 EST 2010

On 16-1-2010 3:01, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Instead, if this is a goal of archiving, I'd suggest archiving
> the original data (in a possibly arcane format), and a copy in
> a more accessable format likely to still be usable decades later.

That's what we are doing now. It's OK for practical purposes.

> The OGR VRT driver already captures most of this with my recent
> addition of schema support.  It could be extended to actually be
> a feature store.
>
> Alternatively, we could look at improving the GML driver to support
> capture of everything that OGR can represent.  This would have the
> benefit of being useful in non-OGR applications.

Both very good propositions, especially the GML one. I guess such a GML
dump could be read back into OGR without problems? I'm not proposing a
RFC (don't know how much work it is), but perhaps you could keep this in
the back of your head ...

Jan