[gdal-dev] No PROJ.4 translation for source SRS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 19 10:30:35 EST 2010

Smart, Gary wrote:
> I still can’t get to the bottom of this message – can anyone explain it…
>

> *ERROR 1:  No PROJ.4 translation for source SRS, coordinate
> transformation initialization has failed*.
>

> I’m trying to convert the native coordinates in a file into WGS84
> lat/longs.
>
> However, when I create the OGRCoordinateTransformation (using the
> importFromWkt for input source and setWellKnownGeogCS(“WGS84”) for
> output) I get the above PROG.4 error.

Gary,

I'm afraid I never looked into the original problem because your reference
to the files in question ("tiff files from the mapserver tutorial") was too
inconvenient to follow up on.  Can you provide a more direct reference to them?
What does gdalinfo report for one of the problem files?

The message means that the code used to translate WKT coordinate system
descriptions into PROJ.4 coordinate system descriptions does not know how
to do it for the provided coordinate system.  This might be for a reason
as simple as the coordinate system string being empty (unavailable).