[gdal-dev] Problem with GDAL NITF Image Compression

Chiou, Kevin kevin.chiou at progeny.net
Thu Jan 21 19:06:49 EST 2010

I just realized if I compress a NITF file with GDAL, the compressed
image file cannot be opened by other NITF image viewers.  I tested with
ELT, ArcMap, and Opticks, all reports some type of error when trying to
open a GDAL compressed NITF file.  GDAL seems to be the only driver that
is capable of reopen a GDAL compressed NITF file.

I tried both C3 and M3 compression options ( JPEG compression), and
neither of them works.  I also ran NITF validation tool on the
compressed file and following error is shown:
'The combination of Image Representation(IREP) = "YCbCr601" and Image
Compression(IC) = "M3" does not allow Image Mode(IMODE) = "B".'
And if you look at appendix A of NITF specification (2500C), it does not
list those parameters as a possible combination.  But at the same time I
don't know if the incorrect header supposes affect how other NITF viewer
opens the file or not.

I haven't deal with JPEG format much before.  So any suggestion on what
might went wrong, or anything else I can try is greatly appreciated.

-Kevin