[gdal-dev] highly compressed vector format for points

Ragi Burhum ragi at burhum.com
Tue Jul 6 19:33:22 EDT 2010

Hello there,

The other day I got a question from someone that wanted to store a
relatively small amount of point features (~31K) that are close to each
other in a 'highly compressed' format. He wants to be able to query features
by proximity using coords. The reason for this requirement is that he wants
to be able to use it in embedded devices with limited memory. Yes I know
memory is cheap and keeps getting cheaper, but I still thought it was an
interesting question.

I can think of many ways to create a custom binary format to do such a
thing, but I wanted to check the brain collective to hear what people
thought. Of course spatialite and their new "compressed geometries" feature
will come up in this conversation. I already sent an e-mail to that group
for details about that :)

I want to be able to avoid reinventing the wheel, so what are your thoughts
on this?

Thanks,

- Ragi