[gdal-dev] OGR Driver for Norwegian SOSI standard

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 12 08:59:59 EDT 2010

relet wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> During the last month, we have developed an OGR driver for the Norwegian
> SOSI standard[1]. It has reached a state[2] where it can be used to read and
> use the basic features from SOSI files in OGR-enabled application like
> mapserver. The standard itself is the national standard for representation
> of geographic data. It is quite extensive, up to covering typographic
> settings for label placement - hence a full access to all features via OGR
> probably won't be possible anyway.
>
> We would like to contribute the driver to the OGR library, and maybe have
> someone review the code from an OGR perspective. What is the best way to
> proceed? I could of course append some code to the ticket, but that doesn't
> seem to be a long-term solution. :)
>
> The driver is depending on an external library, FYBA[3] for reading (and
> eventually writing) SOSI files. That library is currently released as binary
> VC++ DLL only, but is written to support a variety of architectures. I have
> ported it to linux, and we are working on releasing the source code.
> Hopefully that'll just take some more time. Taking that into account, it
> worksforme on both Windows and Linux, and will be continuously extended in
> the near future.
>
> Where should I put the code and who wants to read it?

Thomas,

I would suggest you go ahead and submit the current code via a ticket.
After a brief review we will hopefully be sufficiently convinced of
your development bona-fides that we can motion for you to become a GDAL
committer.  Once such a motion passes you can takes care of ongoing
maintenance (and perhaps the initial integration) yourself with perhaps
some support for other GDAL/OGR developers.

I would encourage you to review the committer guidelines at:

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc3_commiters

Once the motion is made, you should respond to it indicating that you
are prepared to abide by these guidelines, assuming that is true.