[gdal-dev] GDAL2Tiles

Greg Coats gregcoats at mac.com
Wed Jul 14 11:41:32 EDT 2010

Tiff files are composed of either one or more tiles, or one or more stripes. No single tile or stripe can be larger than 2 GB. The original Tiff standard further required that a .tif file not be larger than 4 GB. The BigTiff standard does away with this 4 GB .tif file limit.
GDAL supports BigTiff with 4 create options BIGTIFF=YES/NO/IF_NEEDED/IF_SAFER
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html

I have successfully created tiled 150 GB .tif files in 2 hours with gdal_translate (and gdal_merge.py) like this
gdal_translate -of GTiff -ot Byte --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 1000 \
-co TILED=YES -co BLOCKXSIZE=1024 -co BLOCKYSIZE=1024 \
-co BIGTIFF=YES in.tif out.tif

GDAL indicates it progress like this
0...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90...100 - done.
Greg