[gdal-dev] gdal_merge is very slow

Leith Bade leith at leithalweapon.geek.nz
Sun Jul 18 00:44:20 EDT 2010

That seemed to do the trick. It finished overnight, a lot faster than
before.

Final file was 83GB. (Only 1/2 the dataset was used)

Is there a reason GDAL_CACHEMAX 2147 is the maximum? Under 64-bit a 32-bit
process has 4GB of virtual memory rather than 2GB under 32-bit (or 3GB with
the /3GB Windows boot switch).

I was successfully able to use kdu_compress on the result as well so now I
only need 4GB to store the file! (Although kdu_compress also has a memory
limit at 2GB, but you can flush the codestream after every tile to fix
that).

Thanks,
Leith Bade
leith at leithalweapon.geek.nz