[gdal-dev] gdal_merge is very slow

Greg Coats gregcoats at mac.com
Sun Jul 18 19:03:39 EDT 2010

On Jul 18, 2010, at 6:09 PM, Leith Bade wrote:

> they only have a 32-bit build

Not true.
The complaint that Kakadu has never offered 64 bit versions of their command line executables for free is false. The Kakadu web site now offers, for free, version 6.4 for Mac OS X compiled for 32 bit and 64 bit, for Motorola CPU, and Intel CPU. That is 4 sets of executables, all for free. That is because the Kakadu + Mac OS X community actively supports Kakadu, and asked for this. There is nothing else to give away for free, for Mac OS X. Also, the Kakadu based GDAL JP2KAK executable is free. I have given it away for free for Mac OS X on my web site for years. If you are not running Mac OS X, then you can ask for a JP2KAK executable from someone with Kakadu who is using whatever OS you are using.

I sense that what you are saying is that user community for whatever OS you are using is not as active as the Kakadu + Mac OS X community.

A Kakadu license for personal use costs less than Adobe charges for one Photoshop upgrade. You only pay once in your lifetime for the Kakadu source code, but you are expected to pay for a Photoshop upgrade about every year. Greg