[gdal-dev] Trying to use ogr2ogr conversion in Visual Studio Project... Quick question

nlraley nathan.raley at stcelectronics.com
Mon Jul 19 10:46:55 EDT 2010

I hope I'm posting in the right group.

I am trying to use the conversion capabilities of ogr2ogr to convert a
shapefile to kml format so I can basically have a user select a shp file and
automatically convert it without having them go to the command prompt and
type out the commands or any of that.

I was handling this by passing commands to the command line to automatically
generate the necessary commands to do this conversion.

My question is, what all do I need to include to be able to use the
ogr2ogr.exe fully?  Or is there a way to include the dll's do handle it
without the use of the command line?

The reason I was asking was I wanted to give them the bare minimum necessary
to perform the conversions and not have to worry about them having to do a
full blown install and then worry about what directory they placed the files
in and everything of that nature.

I would like to either:
a) Include the ogr2ogr.exe and the dll's it needs to run and then just pass
the commands like I am doing now
or
b) Include the dll's in the project so I can use the conversion without
having to run ogr2ogr.exe through the command prompt.

Any ideas?