[gdal-dev] gdal2tiles.py cannot find EPSG:900913, sees only GDAL 1.6.1

Jeffrey Warren jeff at unterbahn.com
Wed Jul 28 08:05:05 EDT 2010

I'm getting this error when running gdal2tiles.py with even default
parameters, on files which run fine on another separate machine:

ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 900913 not found in EPSG support files.  Is this
a valid EPSG coordinate system?

(full error below)

I've been wandering through the cubewerks_extra.wkt definitions but am not
sure how to get GDAL to pick up the file even if I add it. My projections
seem to be in /usr/share/epsg_csv/ instead of the more standard
/usr/share/proj/epsg, which doesn't exist on my local Fedora 12 box. More to
the point, gdal2tiles.py --version returns:

GDAL 1.6.1, released 2009/05/11

despite my recent install of 1.7.2. gdalwarp and other compiled tools return
1.7.2 normally. Whereas my other box (Leopard Server, macports-based
install):

GDAL 1.7.2, released 2010/04/23

I tried upgrading gdal-python to 1.7.1 here: http://trac.osgeo.org
/gdal/ticket/3468 but got a missing header file... not sure that's the
problem in any case.

I have only a basic working knowledge of gdal, apologies if this is really
obvious.

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Jeff

Full error:

gdal2tiles.py -k -t "mestia-local" -g "googleapikey"
/home/warren/www/cartagen/public/warps/mestia-local/mestia-local-geo.tif
/home/warren/www/cartagen/public/tms/mestia-local/
ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 900913 not found in EPSG support files.  Is this
a valid
EPSG coordinate system?
ERROR 6: No translation an empty SRS to PROJ.4 format is known.
ERROR 6: No translation an empty SRS to PROJ.4 format is known.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/gdal2tiles.py", line 2235, in <module>
    gdal2tiles.process()
  File "/usr/bin/gdal2tiles.py", line 469, in process
    self.generate_metadata()
  File "/usr/bin/gdal2tiles.py", line 1117, in generate_metadata
    f.write( self.generate_tilemapresource())
  File "/usr/bin/gdal2tiles.py", line 1513, in generate_tilemapresource
    for z in range(self.tminz, self.tmaxz+1):
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'int'