[gdal-dev] RFC 29: OGR Set Desired Fields

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jul 29 09:15:26 EDT 2010

Martin Dobias wrote:

> I've updated the RFC to reflect your suggestions:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc29_desired_fields
>
> Given that there has been no further discussion, can we mark the RFC
> as proposed and start the voting?

Sorry if this comment comes late, but I didn't realize until now that
the SetIgnoredFields() suggestion was the preferred choice in the end.

Personally I find that SetIgnoredFields() is less natural and more
error-prone than the original proposed SetDesiredFields(), so I would
still prefer SetDesiredFields() even if it took me a bit of time to get
used to the way it works in the beginning.

If it was my RFC, I would have gone with a

virtual OGRErr OGRLayer::SelectFields( const char **papszFields );

which would work more or less like a SQL SELECT... and yes, you would
need to specify OGR_GEOMETRY and OGR_STYLE explicitly if you want them,
but as long as that's well documented that should not be a big deal
(users of PostGIS always have to explicitly select the_geom in their
queries and that doesn't seem to be a problem for them).

My 0.02$

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette