[gdal-dev] RFC 29: OGR Set Desired Fields

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:49:59 EDT 2010

Martin,

I didn't follow all conclusions made earlier in this thread, but I don't
think it makes much sense to enable/disable the special fields since those
are derived from the attributes of the feature instead of fetching the
values physically from the data source. For example OGR_STYLE corresponds to
OGRFeature::GetStyleString() which can provide a meaningful value even if
the styles are not handled/supported by a particular driver.

Assuming we only deal with the physical attributes it seems to me more
reasonable to store a flag in OGRFieldDefn which could be set individually.
In this regard each driver would do something like:

for( int iField = 0; iField < poDefn->GetFieldCount(); iField++ )
{
  if (poDefn->GetFieldDefn(iField)->IsIgnored())
    continue;

  // fetch field
}

This would eliminate the requirement to maintain a separate array of the
ignored/desired fields.

Best regards,

Tamas