[gdal-dev] Pretty Much Off Topic: Development IDEs

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Tue Jun 1 12:35:06 EDT 2010

Cross posted with gdal-dev and ossim-developer

Hi Everyone,
Please indulge me in this slightly off topic question.
As I have spent the last many years of my GIS life programming in a
(linux BASH-like) scripting language, I am somewhat out of date with
Linux development environments.
I last programmed many years back, in C using Visual Studio 95 and "flat
C" on Linux command line - no fancy "make" or anything.

I want to migrate my Linux based GIS workflows onto OpenSource projects,
using a mix of gdal/proj4/ossim and maybe GRASS - as the need and mood
grabs me.

I have just loaded Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit as my platform, and ask if anyone
is willing to let me know what development environments they program in.

I'm looking to write graphical (over orthos/satelite images) digitising
routines, ie: display/edit/capture vectors on/in image windows, catch
mouse, keyboard and maybe joystick events. Maybe even stereo (3D)
capture too.
I am not a fan of GUI data capture, so whilst this looks much like
reinventing the wheel, I don't think it is, and hence I am unlikely to
see the benefit of  "tacking onto" projects like QGIS etc.

I'd be grateful to know what you guys use for programming. (I'll
probably stick with C as I have no experience with Java, Python or other
languages).

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za