[gdal-dev] ESRI file geodatabase support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 9 14:23:27 EDT 2010

Eduardo Kanegae wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´ve this topic at Google
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/When-or-if-OGR-can-support-ESRI-file-geodatabase-td2592778.html
>
> Is there any plan for OGR on supporting this ESRI format or this will
> depend on 'when' ESRI be able to open this format specification.

Eduardo,

Ragi Burhum has offered an ArcObjects based solution/driver for reading file
geodatabases for those with an ArcObject license.  I'm not sure what the
exact status of that driver is since I'm not in a position to help with it.

For a less encumbered solution for file geodatabase we are effectively
waiting to see what ESRI provides in the manner of an SDK for reading them.
Once we have that, it is also not clear who, if anyone, would turn it into
an OGR driver.