[gdal-dev] Warping satellite data

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 9 21:30:42 EDT 2010

Ryan May wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some satellite image data (in a proprietary format) that are in various
> projections. Is there a way to use GDAL to take the binary data I already have
> in memory reproject/warp them to a different projection, yielding new arrays
> (i.e. without writing the data to an image on disk)?
>
> All the examples I seem to find use the GDAL drivers to read the data from disk.

Ryan,

Uses the in memory "MEM" driver it is possible to create a GDALDataset that
accesses an existing memory array. It is also possible to have the warp
API create a warped image in memory using the MEM driver.  Some info is
available at:

   http://www.gdal.org/frmt_mem.html

The warper can only work on datasets, but datasets do not need to be files
on disk.