[gdal-dev] GDAL Speed Optimization

Stefano Moratto stefano.moratto at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 03:49:01 EDT 2010

I use GDAL in my traffic optimization CAD program.
It is a Win32 application written in DELPHI that uses GDAL "C" API - the
binding was autogenerated by my SWIG module for object pascal.

I use GDAL to download tiles (jpeg) from OpenstreetMap and to compose a
bitmap of the area that is being viewed. The resulting bitmap (not
compressed) is warped  and displayed.

The performances are quite acceptable but when I try to print they are not.

The drawing to be printed has a resolution larger of the screen (Screen :
1024x1024, Printer 4096 x 4094 in A4 and 9000 x 9000 in A3 approximately).
I think tha the bottleneck could be found in:
1) jpeg decompression.
2) bitmap interpolation (I use the low qualitiy settings).
3) warping ( I use an approsimated warping function).

An increase of performance could be achieved using
1) hw accelerated functions as IPP or GPU (e.g CUDA)
2) parallel alghorithms that takes advantage from multicore CPU

Has someone already approched these problems?

Regards,
Stefano

--
Dr.Eng. Stefano Moratto