[gdal-dev] Re: ESRI file geodatabase support

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 00:14:56 EDT 2010

> So the question is: is it true that for a new "universal" spatial format to
> be born it has to have at least read support in the closed source world?

If spatialite, or something like it, sees widespread use elsewhere
ESRI will read it. Heck they already incorporate gdal, even to the
point of directing developers to the gdal api tutorial for writing new
drivers. I get the idea everyone is standing around waiting to see
what everyone else is going to do; chicken and egg.

{{{pause for reflection}}

hrrmmm. In my day job one of my functions is publishing our data the
'net, and I just realised *I'm* only putting out shapefiles... Soo if
I want to encourage another format, I could start right here!

--
-matt