[gdal-dev] Re: ESRI file geodatabase support

Ragi Burhum ragi at burhum.com
Thu Jun 17 16:56:57 EDT 2010

> From: Duarte Carreira <DCarreira at edia.pt>
> Subject: RE: [gdal-dev] Re: ESRI file geodatabase support
> To: Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com>, Peter J Halls <P.Halls at york.ac.uk>
> Cc: "gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org" <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org>,      Matt
> Wilkie
>        <maphew at gmail.com>
>
> Well, if SpatiaLite offers some "proper" benefits and disseminates through
> all of the FOSS world, then it may get a strong enough push even for ESRI to
> pick it up. It happened before... (kml?)
>
> If SL would:
>

> 1)      Be as fast as shapefile in production settings, desktop and webgis
>
> 2)      Offer SQL support, spatial and otherwise, also through desktop
> tools like QGIS
>
> 3)      Allow editing while serving (even if for 1 editor only)
>
> 4)      Better support in QGIS than for shapefile (take advantage of
> Spatial SQL, all other functionality)
>
> 5)      Same for MapServer, GeoServer, gvSIG, et al.
>
> 6)      Allow easy managing of rasters inside the .db file, through QGIS
>
> 7)      ??more ideas/requests??
>
> Then it would be a very, very good contender... and the ball would be
> kicked to "the other side".
> And it seems we're already there for some of the listed features.
> Duarte

Or even better, instead of waiting and complaining, we could just write a
GeoDatabase OGR (ESRI) Workspace ourselves.

There are already examples of working ones out there

http://svn.obtusesoft.com/core/trunk/

So instead of hoping and pleading for support, someone should just sit down
and write it.

I started one at one point (C++), got side tracked with other things. If
anyone is interested in that source code, I would be happy to share that
too.

- Ragi