[gdal-dev] gdal on OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jun 18 18:33:54 EDT 2010

On Jun 18, 2010, at 2:42 PM, Ken Mankoff wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm trying to get gdal working on OS X 10.6. I'm have tried a variety of ways with varying success.
>
> I installed GDAL 1.7 Complete from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks
>
> If I go to /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/unix/bin I can seem to run the unix binaries. For example, "./gdal_info" provides usage instructions. I cannot run the Python programs. If I launch my Python and type "from osgeo import gdal" it doesn't work because I run the EPD Python not the OS X default. That command *does* work, and the Python binaries do run (or at least print usage info) if I comment out the EPD section in my .bash_profile and run using the system Python.
>
> Any ideas how to run GDAL with EPD?

If the EPD Python you have installed is the same major version as the system (2.6), this should work: try copying the gdal path file from /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/gdal.pth to the user site-packages folder of the EPD python.

My GDAL python binaries are built for Python 2.6, and may (probably?) not work on Python 2.5 or 2.7.  Definitely (?) not Python 3.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy