[gdal-dev] Multithreading with OGR

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 06:52:50 EDT 2010

Hi Ari

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Just a comment. In Geoinformatica, which uses GTK+, I've begun to address
> the same kind of problem using the functions provided by GTK+. So far I've
> not used this on rendering and I've not thought about all the consequencies.
> In some expectedly lengthly GDAL operations it provides a mechanism in the
> function API to report progress. I've begun experimenting with this and
> added
>
> Gtk2->main_iteration while Gtk2->events_pending;

This is something we've been using until now in QGIS - entering event
loop while rendering to handle events. But this limits the overall
usability a lot, because lots of GUI features have to be disabled to
avoid concurrent read access and recursive redraws of map. Another
limitation of that approach is the inability to make use of multi-core
processors. I believe that rendering in worker threads is the way to
go for desktop GIS apps.

Regards
Martin