[gdal-dev] gdal_merge.py alpha mask

Stefan Klug Klug.Stefan at gmx.de
Tue Jun 29 10:49:29 EDT 2010

Hi,

gdal_merge.py doesn't handle tiff files with alpha masks so I've added
this functionality.

My patch changes the behaviour of gdal_merge as follows:
- If a band is recognized as Alpha Band it is automatically treated as
having a NODATA value of 0.
I'm not sure if this is the way to go. But it makes some sense, as the
resulting alpha channel is a correct alpha merge, independent of the
nodata value used for the other bands.
- If a band has mask flag GMF_ALPHA set, the mask band controls the
parts that get written to the destination

Would be great if someone could review and possibly checkin the patch.

Regards
     Stefan