[gdal-dev] Re: ESRI file geodatabase support

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 14:09:13 EDT 2010

For what it's worth, here is the reply I recieved from ESRI regarding
the release plans. In a follow on message I also asked whether the API
would require runtime licensing or similar, to which I've not received
a reply; I waited a week or so.

----------------
Hi Matt,

To answer your question about the file geodatabase:  Yes, at ArcGIS 10
there will be an open API for the File Geodatabase for developers that
does not require the use of ArcObjects. This is an off-cycle project,
which means that it will not be included with ArcGIS 10 Final when it
becomes available later this month. Our plans call for the File
Geodatabase API to be released separately later this year as a digital
download. We expect to have more details in the early fall.

And you heard correctly, it will be C++ only.

Paige Spee
ESRI Product Marketing