[gdal-dev] GDAL Progressive Data Support RFC Discussion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 11 20:09:15 EST 2010

Folks,

I have spent several days working on the JPIP driver initiated by
Norman Barker, and also worked on by Garrett Briggs.  This driver
uses a proposed new method for asynchronous and progressive data
access for GDAL.  The driver now seems to be working fairly well, and
based on that work I have fleshed out the RFC for the proposed new
API.

The implementation can be found in:

   http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/sandbox/normanb/gdal

It is somewhat hard to build due to the Kakadu dependency - some makefile
hacking may be required.

The RFC can be found at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc24_progressive_data_support

Currently I am calling for discussion on the proposed interface - similar
to what it was on the last round, though I've tried to clarify a few issues
and streamlined away a few items.

Depending on feedback I hope to call for a vote on the RFC within a couple
of days.