[gdal-dev] pcidsk sdk svn:externals

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 12 13:45:38 EST 2010

Folks,

For a few months now the gdal/frmts/pcidsk/sdk directory has been
referenced from the pcidsk sdk subversion using svn:externals in
GDAL trunk.  This had the benefit of ensuing the latest pcidsk code was
always used with GDAL trunk.  However, it has had some downsides too.

1) I tended to forget to update gdal/frmts/pcidsk/GNUmakefile when
I added files to the pcidsk sdk which was breaking the build.

2) When folks made branches, such as winkey recently did, it was hard
to keep the gdal/frmts/pcidsk/GNUmakefile up to date.

3) Each time I make a stable branch, like for 1.7, I need to futz
around to turn the svn:external into a local copy.

4) Evaluating the svn:external made my svn updates noticably slower
since they were done as an extra roundtrip to the server.

Anyways, the problem are not insurmountable, but on balance I think
the benefits of using svn:external are outweighed by hassles and so I
have gotten rid of the svn:external and done an svn copy of the sdk
into the GDAL trunk.   I will refresh it periodically.

Let me know if anyone runs into problems or thinks this was the wrong
thing to do.