[gdal-dev] writing DWG/DXF

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 17 08:17:48 EDT 2010

Hi,

    I want to convert shape files into DWG or DXF. (And I do not have
ArcView, nor Windows, available.)

I've been reading the lists and found information on a "spike" branch of
ogr2ogr which is supposed to be able to write DWG/DXF files. In the
readme it says

"The ability to write DXF and DWG is only available when OGR is linked
against the DWGdirect library provided by the Open Design Alliance.
Note that the DWGdirect library is not open source, though the license
terms are not terribly draconian."

The GDAL wiki says:

"The DXFDWG driver is currently a write-only driver dependent on the
Open Design Alliance DWGdirect libraries for writing to the DWG and DXF
formats. The DWGdirect library is not open source, though it is offered
under fairly permissive terms."

Now as far as I can see, nothing works without the DWGdirect library,
and unless you are associated with an educational institution and are
willing to sign and fax lots of forms to confirm that, the only way to
get your hands on that library is to become an "Associated Member" of
the ODA and pay them US$250 (for the first year), and that does not even
include a license to distribute the library.

Are these the "fairly permissive terms" mentioned above - or have I
overlooked some easy and free-of-charge way of downloading the library
(or a statically linked ogr2ogr)?

Cheers
Frederik