[gdal-dev] Adding multipolygons to an existing geometry collection

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:35:49 EDT 2010

Even Rouault wrote:
>> What's the "Java dirty trick" that the code talks about?
>>

> Ari,
>
> Do you really want to hear the explanation ;-) ? OK, here it is.
>
> This is related to subtelities of SWIG and Java garbage collection.
>
> Imagine that DISOWN is still used for the input parameter of
> ForceToMultiPolygon
>
> Consider the following code :
>
> geom1 = ogr.CreateGeometryFromWKT(xxxx);
> geom2 = ogr.ForceToMultiPolygon(geom1);

IMHO this shouldn't be allowed in languages that use OGR through swig in
the first place since forceTo.. really works on its argument geometry
although it syntactically returns a new pointer. That's why I thought it
would have been better to be a object method, i.e.,:

geom1 = ogr.CreateGeometryFromWKT(xxxx);
geom1.ForceToMultiPolygon();

There are similar problems elsewhere in the swig bindings, which are
also fixed with similar tricks in Perl bindings (I'm not sure about the
other languages), but they are usually due to things like feature
depending on the existence of its layer.

Regards,

Ari