[gdal-dev] Re: rgdal source code

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Fri Mar 26 12:26:39 EDT 2010

Roger,

Pardon me for interrupting with a question I've had for a while but not
asked you.

On Windows at least, it appears that rgdal renames the GDAL shared library
(e.g. gdal16.dll) to an rgdal-specific name (e.g. libgdal-1.dll). On
windows, this has the advantage of avoiding DLL name collisions, allowing
rgdal to coexist with other libraries that also load GDAL using its
traditional name (e.g. gdal16.dll). Is that why rgdal renamed the shared
library? Or was it done for another reason?

Thanks,

Jason