[gdal-dev] Error using ogr2ogr to create SpatiaLite database

Simon O'Keefe simon.okeefe at groundtruth.com.au
Sun Mar 28 08:23:14 EDT 2010

Hi,

(I posted this issue to the FWTools mailing list a week ago, but have
not yet received a response.)

I'm attempting to create a new SQLite database from a SHP file using
FWTools2.4.7 on Windows 7. The following command:

ogr2ogr -f SQLite C:\Data\db.sqlite C:\Data\states.shp -dsco SPATIALITE=yes

generates the following error:

ogr2ogr.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

The example uses 'states.shp' from the GeoServer sample data, but the
error occurs with other SHP files as well.

I'm able to create a SQLite file by leaving out SPATIALITE=yes, but
when I open the resulting file in SpatiaLite-GIS, it complains of
"Missing or invalid Spatial Metadata tables: spatial_ref_sys,
geometry_columns".

Is anyone able to create a proper SpatialLite database from a SHP file
using ogr2ogr?

Cheers,

Simon
Simon O'Keefe