[gdal-dev] Convert shapefile to SQL text for PostGIS

Brice Lambi lambi at ucar.edu
Tue May 11 12:43:26 EDT 2010

I just stumbled on this while looking for something completely
different, shp2pgsql:

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html

 The shp2pgsql data loader converts ESRI Shape files into SQL suitable
for insertion into a PostGIS/PostgreSQL database either in geometry or
geography format. The loader has several operating modes distinguished
by command line flags:

In addition to the shp2pgsql command-line loader, there is an
shp2pgsql-gui graphical interface with most of the options as the
command-line loader, but may be easier to use for one-off non-scripted
plugin to PgAdminIII.