[gdal-dev] DBF unicode problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 19 12:24:11 EDT 2010

I tried viewing a unicode shapefile created from GDAL in ArcGIS and it didn't work.

After some poking around I found out about the LDID value in the DBF header and the .cpg file that Arc uses.  I see that GDAL sets the LDID to some value - is this supposed to be UTF-8, or something else?

I couldn't get Arc to recognize unicode in the shapefile until I zero'd the LDID in the DBF (it overrides the cpg if set) and added a .cpg file with the UTF-8 value.

Maybe GDAL needs a creation option in the shapefile driver to set the LDID or to instead add a cpg file with an encoding value.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan