[gdal-dev] Re: gdal_retile and nodata

christian.mueller at nvoe.at christian.mueller at nvoe.at
Tue May 25 08:52:00 EDT 2010

Hmm, jpeg is not a lossless  compression, LZW is lossless. It appears
that we have a problem beyond our scope.  I never use jpeg and prefer
LZW or png.  I would go with LZW, this is the safe way.
4 GB are not dramatically. I store my tiles/pyramids in a database
prepared for geoserver, there are about 100 GBs of tiles in png
format, no problem.

Btw, I have seen another mail one the mailing list about problems
adding overviews to a gtiff with JPEG compression.