Re: [gdal-dev] Frank Eats Crow - or Fixing PixelIsPoint Interpretation

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Tue Nov 16 10:04:46 EST 2010

Frank,

Although I agree with your answer to Joaquim's question I would like to extend the subject a little bit.

If I understood the RFC33 correctly the CreateCopy()'s of others driver will not going to fell the effect of that change. I mean, the GeoTransform will still be based on the center of the pixel. That is good.

But for the sake of data quality, for driver/formats that support both reference modes, I believe it will be important to carry away that information to the output. If you take the outputted raster and use it in surface analysis or 3D visualization packages it will be better to know where the pixel reference really is. Right?

IMHO, for those driver, including GTIFF itself, would be nice to know what was the pixel reference of the source dataset in order to make a decision to write reference in a PixelIsPoint or PixelIsArea fashion.

Should we establish some automatic and standard way of dealing with that?

Best regards,

Ivan