[gdal-dev] Unable to load CIB datasets with GDAL

morabit b.morabito at tdnet.it
Fri Nov 19 13:46:20 EST 2010

Hi All,
  In our project we are using GDAL 1.7.2 to load map data in various formats
as CADRG, DTED, CIB, etc.
All it's working fine but we have a big problem with the CIB format.
For this type of datasets, the GDALOpen function fails with the following
error message:
'For <frameFileName>, assert 'geoTransf[GEOTRSFRM_ROTATION_PARAM1] == 0 &&
geoTransf[GEOTRSFRM_ROTATION_PARAM2] == 0' failed.'

We checked the source code and discovered that this was due to a series of
assert failures
in file rpftocdataset.cpp, lines 733, 740.

We tried to comment out this asserts, but now the same function fails with
the following error message:
'Ignoring NITF RPF Location table since it seems to be corrupt.'

We are pretty sure that our datasets are not corrupted, as the same datasets
are loaded
without any problems by Global Mapper v12.00 and FalconView 4.3.0.
The gdalinfo tool seems to handle these files with no problems but if we use
it
with the -mm option the following errors are reported:
Band 1 Block=256x256 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Palette
  ERROR 6: File lacks VQ LUTs, unable to decode image
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
ERROR 6: File lacks VQ LUTs, unable to decode imagery
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 1, Y offset 0
ERROR 1: Failed to compute min/max, no valid pixels found in sampling.

The openev tool, that uses GDAL internally, is able to load them
only if we force the use of the OGDI driver.

The datasets come from a military collection with limited access and
cannot be shared completely, so we can attach only a truncated NITF frame
file.
However, it should include all the relevant metadata values since the
problem seems
to come from there.

Thank you

Bruno M. http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/file/n5756271/0AA43516.I42