[gdal-dev] Reprojecting a tiled dataset

Mike Leahy mgleahy at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 23 19:25:10 EST 2010

Hello list,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for reprojecting a large,
already-tiled RGB GeoTiff image dataset.  It's straightforward enough to script
the reprojection of individual tiles, but this leaves black wedges on the
sides.  I can merge tiles and add '-n 0' to treat the black wedges as no data,
and the merged output looks fine with no visible black strips, but this is a
dataset that is of the order of 60GB, so merging all of the tiles takes a
particularly long time.

I thought maybe I could use gdal_retile.py...except that doesn't include an
arugment that allow for the exclusion of a particular nodata value in the
output.  I figure I could incorporate something to account for nodata into a
customized version of gdal_retile.py script...would anyone have any pointers
for doing this?

Best regards,
Mike