[gdal-dev] RFC 31 - OGR 64bit Support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Nov 27 08:22:21 EST 2010

geographika wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand it the only reason to use 64bit integers for IDs would
> be for tables with more than 2 billion records (in the positive range).
> There is a related question on StackOverflow about this
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2124631/sql-server-int-or-bigint-database-table-ids
>
> Are there really feature classes with this many records in existence?
> Regards,

Seth,

In many cases with an RDBMS the FID is the primary key and there are
a variety of reasons these might not be sequential starting from zero.

The issue initially came up in Barcelona with someone from OSM who I
believe was concerned about when the OSM object ids were going to be
larger than two billion.