[gdal-dev] geotiff conflict

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Mon Nov 29 08:11:21 EST 2010

Hello,

I'm reviving an already known problem about the gdal packages for
Ubuntu/Debian, related to the use of the hide-internal-symbols configure
option.

To sum it up, we get into troubles with the gdal packages since we also
use the geotiff API.

Until recently, we knew only about a problem with Debian. It had been
reported for example :
- http://www.mail-archive.com/gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org/msg04966.html
- http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=558733

A similar issue now appears on Ubuntu.
Attached are two little tests showing up the problem, with an associated
CMakeLists.
test.cxx uses the geotiff and tiff API.
test2.cxx is the test program reported in the debian bug tracker

both programs are simple executable taking one tiff file as input.

test.cxx produces segfault when the link line has gdal before geotiff,
and runs ok in the other cases (tiff does not seem involved).
The segfault appears in the TIFFGetField call, probably because the
TIFF* returned by XTIFFOpen comes from the gdal internal geotiff
implementation and not the system geotiff lib, thus returning an
incompatible pointer.

test2.cxx does not segfault (though it does on Debian systems when gdal
is before geotiff).

I see the Ubuntu problems on at least two systems :
- Ubuntu 10.04 with official packages (gdal 1.6.3)
- Ubuntu 10.10 with gdal package from UbuntuGIS-unstable

There seems to be a bug with the hide-internal-symbols which, well...,
does not really hide internal symbols.
Is there a known solution to these problems (apart from hand-made gdal
recompilation which is not a solution for our end-users) ?
Has the mangling of the internal tiff/geotiff libs already been studied ?

Best regards,
Julien