[gdal-dev] Memory usage for GetProjectionRef

Matt Klaric matt at klaric.com
Wed Oct 6 10:43:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:

> Livneh Yehiyam wrote:
>
>> I agree that the amount is small per file, but in our application we need
>> to keep thousands of files open, and keep memory consumption to a certain
>> limit.
>>

> Ah, I'm starting to grasp your issue.  I will humbly suggest that the idea
> of keeping thousands of files open at the same time may be unwise.  If it
> really is critical you might need a lighter weight approach than GDAL
> or libtiff.

Livneh--

Perhaps you could describe the problem that you're trying to tackle and we
could see if there is an alternative way to solve it without having
thousands of files open at a time.  Without knowing exactly what your
problem is, it seems like using a GDAL VRT (
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html) file might be one approach to consider
in lieu of having thousands of files open.

--Matt