[gdal-dev] RFC 30: Unicode Filenames - call for discussion

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 05:23:05 EDT 2010

Frank,

How do we know whether an unicode on an ansi string mapping should be
actually done in the bindings? With respect to the C# bindings the strings
are normally maintained as unicode in the C# side however the default
conversion option is "Charset.Ansi" in the interface causing the character
conversion is done automatically. When marshaling the stringlist values a
custom code in typemaps_csharp.i use
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.PtrToStringAnsi explicitly.

All of this mapping could also be set to unicode as well, however it's not
clear to me how to decide whether ansi or unicode mapping should actually be
done. Or do we intend to create 2 versions of each functions enumerated in
RFC 30?  Recall to switch between the unicode and ansi versions of the
WinAPI functions (like CreatefileW or CreateFileA) are normally selected
'globally' by using a compiler flag.

Best regards,

Tamas