[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 2.0 Notes

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 10:04:52 EDT 2010

On 09/22/2010 09:52 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In IRC I was just mentioning to Howard that we might want to drop use of
> CPL_STDCALL in the GDAL API if a 2.0 release ever occurs.  It seemed
> to me
> that such ideas ought to be kept track of so off the "Developer"
> section of
> the Trac wiki I have created a page for this and pre-populated it with
> a few
> items.  Please feel free to add other cleanup suitable to do at such an
> ABI breaking version.
>
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes
>
> As we are running out of 1.x numbers (1.8.0 hopfully coming out soon)

We can always have 1.10 and 1.11 etc. That would not be uncommon (there
is for example Perl 5.10 as we're waiting for Perl 6). However, I'm for
having 2.0, not just because numbers ran out but because that would be a
chance to do something a bit more major. One idea would be to make a
general call for new ideas and wish lists.

Best regards,

Ari